City of Surrey Cycling Plan
Maple Ridge is working on a Transportation Plan (that includes cycling and pedestrians) this year as are many of our neighbouring municipalities. The City of Surrey has just adopted their new Cycling Plan. The summary page from their website is reposted below from http://www.surrey.ca/city-services/11703.aspx. I’m interested in your comments on this plan… any good ideas that we can use in Maple Ridge?
The Plan builds on the 2008 Transportation Strategic Plan that identified the importance of cycling in achieving broader transportation and City objectives in the areas of:
- environmental protection, and
- developing a successful Surrey economy.
Cycling Plan Principles
The Plan is organized around 4 principles, each supported by a strategic objective:
- Making Connections: Expand and improve the on- and off-street cycling network.
- Providing Door-to-Door Service: Increase the availability, quality, and variety of end-of-trip facilities.
- Managing and Maintaining the Network: Keep the network safe, visible, and in optimum condition.
- Promoting Cycling: Promote safe cycling as a healthy, fun and sustainable way to travel.
Within the 4 principles, the Plan identifies over 70 Actions for Change, to help build a cycling-friendly Surrey.
14245 56 Avenue
Surrey, BC V3X 3A2